Student residence – where you live in the university

Your place of residence has a major impact on the quality of the student experience. Often the friends you make in the first year are the friends you keep, and where you live plays a big role in meeting them. Expensive housing It is difficult to overestimate the impact of your housing on the total student budget.

Most universities host you for the first year – although some have very few accommodations, while very few (for example, Oxford and Cambridge) have almost all students for a full course. There may be university halls (on or off campus), or local homes owned or managed by the university or other properties, or that some universities housing students for a private company, or use local private halls or private housing – Or a combination of all of these.

University housing

Go to live in university housing if you can. The standards and rents vary, but it is easier to make friends, you have more influence with the owner and may be closer to the Students ’Union and areas of teaching.

What is available?

Usually you have a choice of rooms in different rooms with different rents. The traditional halls depend on corridors. Modern halls are usually grouped in apartments and some rooms may have en-suite bathrooms (although the rent will be higher than the common room in a 1960s building). Most of the university accommodations are self-catering, but dining halls are an option at some universities.

Check the university files at the university Find a summary of what each university and the university website provides for a detailed description of each residence hall. Go and see the accommodation you are applying to, if possible. Find out what is provided before your arrival and what you need to bring, for example, your bedding.

How much will it cost?

From around 55 pounds per week for a basic thing in a cheap area, to 120 pounds per week for an en-suite room with wide connectivity in new halls and a high price somewhere. University profiles (see University Research) tell you about the cost (approximately) at each university, and most importantly, how many weeks does your contract take.

You may have a fixed-term contract (you may have to go out during the Christmas and Easter holidays), which is good if you have a home to go on holidays. Other contracts are 36 to 40 weeks of school year (best if you want to have a base for most of the year and plan to travel in the summer). Some for 52 whole weeks – a must for those who have a family or do not have another home but there is a lot of money wasted for others.

How can you apply for student housing?

It usually involves filling out another form – increasingly online. You may be asked to write a short personal statement or answer questions (for example, about your interests or whether you smoke) so that the housing office can try to bring together compatible students. Make sure you get your order long before the deadline – some accommodations are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.

Private residence

In some cities with a lot of students, there are commercial student halls run by private companies, for example, Unite. They are usually central and specially designed for this purpose, and you can share them with students from a number of other universities in the city.

Rent a student house / apartment

When you need to rent from the private sector, the university residency service will definitely help, and if you are lucky, you may also check the residence on its listings. Sometimes colleges that do not have housing in the first year organize "housing days", where new students come and meet with each other and local real estate agents to sort shares. There is a lot of information on local rates in our university files; see also some national websites covering the studentpad. (accommodationforstudents); and for London, try out the joint universities website, studenthousing.lon.

It is difficult to find cheap rented housing in the lush suburbs or holiday areas (where the semester begins before vacationers return home). Self-catering accommodations are usually cheaper, as long as you know how to feed yourself cheaply. Remember to add travel costs when assessing rents (there is no point in dirt cheap if it costs the wealth of getting lectures).

There is a lot to think about when looking at housing (and you should look). Here are a few

Pointers to start you.

– Security – Is he in an area where you can get burglar insurance; is he on a bus / tube route; and will you feel safe walking home from your nearest station?

– Electricity / gas / water safety – Sockets, pipes, wires and devices – Do they appear to be safe and serviced regularly? Gas and fire water heaters special look; realtors now have to maintain gas appliances annually and provide you with proof of this. (If you are interested in a gas-powered device, the Health and Safety Department operates a line for advice on carbon monoxide, 0800 300 363 or via the website)

– Fire safety – smoke alarms, exits, windows and doors.

– Moist – Any sign of that? Breathing.

Pests and insects – signs, smell, etc.

– TV license – Was it paid? If not, then it is legal for you.

Get yourself arranged before the start of the semester if you can; you will be in a long-term disadvantage if you start the course while you are still sleeping on the floors of friends.

Live at home

If it is close enough, it is almost certainly cheaper to live at home. But you may miss some social facilities and be less involved in student life. You should exit if you do not have adequate study facilities – your own room as a start.


Some mortgage companies have special packages for students who can buy an apartment, house, or sub-rooms. You may need a parent to act as a guarantor. Instead, some parents find that buying a house or apartment is the most cost-effective way to make parental contributions.

Squatting and other options

If all else fails, renting a caravan can be an option in some rural areas. Or, you might be able to join random students (except in Scotland); while it's still legal, law needs to be watched. You can obtain a copy of the Squatters brochure and advice from the Squatters Advisory Service (or squatter org). You can also visit the Squatters advisory center located in Whitechapel, London. They will be able to give you good advice and help you find other people sitting cross-legged as well.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *